Sunday, August 28, 2011

Scotland: A Walk In The Mountains


It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves - Sir Edmund Hillary

In the mountains, there is this...promise of something quite unexplainable; a higher place of meaningfulness that comes with each step against gravity. It also reinforced the message that happiness is not a goal. All the joy and growth occurred while I was climbing it.

"Doubly happy, however, is the man to whom lofty mountain tops are within reach" - John Muir
While the humble peaks of Pentland Hills pale in comparison to the endearing Mt Everest, I was able to identify with Edmund Hillary's quote as I struggled against fatigue with an injured ankle. Admittedly, I have not been playing football for ages and my fitness levels are at an all time low. Depressing really...

... but it was one of the best days of my European adventure! After a week of roaming the streets, I was seriously happy to seek quietude in the stillness of the mountains. No traffic lights. No internet access. No crowds. No phones. Completely off the grid.

It's surprising, almost beyond belief, that such limitless expanse of greenery can be found so close to the buzzing urban jungle of Edinburgh.

Had no idea why I brought only a bottle of water along with me on this hike! This may come across as strange/weird/etc..but I grew a sense of bonding with this inanimate object over the course of the hike as I took little sips whenever I needed to.

Getting There: McEwan Coach Service from Edinburgh Bus Center (101) to Flotterstone Station.
Time: 30-40minutes. $1.30 for a round trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment