The picture is not completed without some quarrelsome fellow, a thief caught in the act; or the man who loves the sound of his own voice in the bath - not to mention those who jump in with a tremendous splash ~ Seneca, Epistulae Morales, 56, 1st Centuary AD.
Sitting on 2000 year old Roman pavements beside the pool; the heart of the world heritage site. After the invasion, the Romans built a temple and a bathing complex. Given the passage of time, I am amazed by the fact that the extensive ruins are so impeccably preserved. Hot spring water at a temperature of 46c rises at an astonishing rate of 1,170,000 litres (240,000 gallons) every single day and it has been doing this for thousands of years. This phenomenon was beyond human understanding in the past, so it was believed to a result of divine work of the ancient gods. I was really tempted to actually drink/touch the water, but I'm glad I didn't. In 1979, a girl actually died 5 days after swimming in it from amoebic meningitis!


No comments:
Post a Comment