Sunday, January 9, 2011

Azure Hues


August 2010 | Franz Josef Glacier | New Zealand | 6 Hours

Aight folks. Here's an interesting snippet of Maori mythology that I got to hear before the ascent of the glaciers. The early Maori actually knew "Franz Josef" as "Ka Roimata o Hine Hukatere" ..which translates to "Tears of the Avalanche Girl". For extra drama effect, the guide's voice was was dark and foreboding. While that might sound ominous enough, the story behind it also laced with somber melancholy. Legend tells of a girl losing her lover who fell from the peaks, and her flood of years froze into the glacier today.


Update: I went googling and actually found more data to enliven the story. Apparently, she was a mountaineer and climbing was her passion. One day, she managed to persuade her lover, Wawe, to climb with her. Problem was, Wawe was a less experienced climber but agreed to climb, on the basis of his love for her. Tragic befell the couple when an avalanche swept Wawe from the peaks to his untimely death. Hinehukatere was broken hearted and her relentless tears flowed down the mountains..and froze to form the glacier.


After a 2.5km trek from the bus drop off point, I reached the front of the glacier. The guide called stops along the way to explain the unique features of the glacier and glacier valley. To be honest, I didn't really pay much attention to all the science stuffs about the ice formation and yada yada yada. My cognitive capacity was already saturated; savoring the picturesque views all around me.


At the the foot of the glacier, I strapped on a set of Ice-Talonz, with spikes that would confer remarkable grip on the slippery and jagged ice surfaces. Then, somehow, amidst the splendor of the whole place, morbidity actually found its way into my thought processes as I recalled the death of an Australian tourist just 4 months ago (June 2010). Thread safely, I told myself.


I found myself in all manner of situations, from squeezing through tight blue crevasses to shuffling down near vertical walls of ice. Truly exhilarating. However, all the physical exertion soon took its toll as I began to starve (in every sense of the word). I ransacked my backpack for any food ... and praised myself (for having foresight D: ) incessantly when I eventually fished out my favorite chocolate bar!


To this day, that was the tastiest Mars Bar, hands down.


News Flash:

The body of a hunter has been recovered after he fell to his death in rugged terrain near the Glacier on the West Coast, say police.The man died about midday on Friday when he lost his footing and fell about 100 metres. He was dead by the time his companion reached him, Mr Parker said.


http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10698695


No comments:

Post a Comment