Monday, May 9, 2011

Bangkok D3: Adventure to/at Maeklong Market

As featured in National Geog.
Picture the following scenario: You have a market with the usual bunch of vendors selling the usual varieties of food and beverages. Then, all of a sudden, the market splits into half, with vendors on both sides retreating. What comes next is something quite unbelievable. A train - yes a train! - comes and cuts right through the market, forcing the vendors to pull back their awnings while shoppers (locals) and the odd travelers have to quickly find a place to step off the track that, only a few seconds ago, was their walkway. The train barely fits through the market, and once the train passes through, stalls occupy the railway line almost immediately, filling up the gap in the wake of the train. See the picture below. Every single day, the train passes through the market - about 4-6 times a day, 7 days per week.

Getting here was an amazing hassle in itself, and it deserves a separate post to tell the story. I will also be posting a guide for others who want to find the train :) Okay, to have a rough idea of what lies in wait: 2 hour train journeys from Wong Yan Yai in Bangkok to Mahachai, followed by a ...
I lost myself after this ride, and nobody could give me a proper direction to find the train and the market. I walked in a pattern of A -> B -> A -> C for a really long time because the locals couldn't understand where I wanted to go (which speaks to the relative obscurity of the place in a way). After much confusion and rising levels of frustration, I turned to my last resort: Hitchhiking.

AT LAST!
To Be Continued.



No comments:

Post a Comment